Wednesday, January 20, 2010

USN Ribbons Chainmaille Inlay - part 2

Back in November I discover IGP and decided to try my hands at an inlay of my own. So I came up with the idea to recreate the ribbons I earned while in the US Navy using anodized aluminum rings. You can read about the process involved in getting a picture into chainmaille format in my previous blog post here.

Things are coming along pretty quickly. At this point the ring count is 2,520 rings! In fact, I've hit a stopping point as I need to order more rings before I can go any further. One of the colors I need was out of stock when I placed my original order and I decided to not use rings I originally got for one section because the color just wasn't right. I'll be using anodized niobium rings as a replacement for these as I just couldn't find the ring size I needed in a color close enough to what I was looking for.
Here is a list of all my awards from top to bottom, left to right:
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Meritouriuos Unit Commendation, Battle "E", Navy Expeditionary Medal, National Defense Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (in progress), Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Ribbon (in progress), Expert Rifle (rings out of stock), Expert Pistol (rings out of stock)

No comments: