Saturday, September 11, 2010

USN Ribbons Chainmaille Inlay (part 3)

I guess it's kinda fitting that this post was ready for today. Let us never forget the events of 9/11/01 and all those who have fought and those who continue to fight terrorism around the world.

Here is my completed US Navy Ribbons inlay project. Okay, so I still have to rig up something to hang it by so it still looks right, but the chainmaille work is pretty much done. Each ribbon is made up of 350 rings for a total ring count of 3,500 rings. The vast majority of these rings are anodized aluminum, but there is a small portion (160 rings) that are anodized niobium since I couldn't get the color I wanted any other way.

Oddly enough I just rediscovered this project. It's been sitting on the shelf for I don't know how long now because I didn't have the rings I needed to go any further. So I had some paypal money from a recent order and decided to order some new supplies. I dug this project out and found out I had everything I needed so I sat down and finished to up. I ended up having 1 ring to spare of the color I was low on; good thing I didn't damage any of those.

You can read my previous update to this project here.You can read about the process involved in getting a picture into chainmaille format in my previous blog post here.

No comments: