Monday, June 15, 2009

Koil Kutter cuts time (and rings too!)

I purchased a Koil Kutter not to long ago and and absolutely love it. There was a bit of a learning curve to it, but things get easier with each coil I cut. So far I've only been cutting 18ga 5/32" bright aluminum rings for a purse I'm working on. My first batch of rings was ~700 rings and a lot of this had burrs. I was able to rub most of this of with my pliers after closing the rings. All batches since have been fine in this regard. The other problem I had with this batch is my rings where a dark gray after tumbling for ~30mins. It took several tries to get them shiny again, but tumbling in nothing but lemon juice worked amazingly. (This batch was noticibly harder to open/close from all the tumbling.) They key to avoiding this problem is wash those rings good before tumbling. My lubricant, Tap Magic, a cutting fluid used primarily for machining (I work at a steel mill) works great but is makes a sort of goo when it combines with the metal dust. HOT water and soap has done the trick for me. I've only cut 18ga bright aluminum with it so far, so I'm anticipating that it will respond differently to other metals and will have to learn the best speed for each.

This has really helped me with my current project. I'm making a small purse using 18ga 5/32" bright aluminum rings (and a few stainless steel, same size). My rough ring count is about 4000 rings, and I've got the purse done, with about 10 rings to spare and ran out of wire. So eventually I'll order some more wire and make the strap and get it photographed and posted.

Now I'm looking to make a longer version of the Koil Kutter so that I can
cut longer coils since I have 18" mandrels that I'm only using the first 4" of.

1 comment:

AmyA said...

I just read an article about the Koil Kutter from a woman who uses dish soap instead of oil to lubricate the coil. Then when she tumbles the rings the soap acts as the lubricant there, too. This would take care of your "dark oily goo" problem!